
The theme for this week's Challenge is 'Apertures' which seems a perfect occasion to use a pair of stamps I bought at a big craft show in Toronto, Canada, about four years ago and, I'm ashamed to say, have inked only once to stamp them in my catalogue. The resulting card was much quicker and easier to make than I feared. The snowy village scene was stamped straight onto a white card blank and coloured with dry watercolour pencils. The windows were stamped on a piece of green card the same size, cut out and a sheet of acetate stuck on the back. One of the bottom corners was a bit ragged so I applied a little Polar White Flowersoft on the acetate to be snow on the window sills - I don't know how I would have disguised ragged corners at the top but I was lucky! I then cut a strip of card 4cm wide and scored 3 vertical lines, accordian folded them and cut the strip in half. I stuck a piece to each side of the front, attached them to the snow scene and there you are: a view through the windows! A silver peel off border and greeting completed the front....and I wondered why it had taken me so long to use those stamps. Although they are by a Canadian company and may not be readily available in the UK it would be easy enough to cut similar windows freehand to go with any scenic background. The folded strips between the front panel and the scene mean that the card will squash flat to go in an envelope, but when extracted the windows stand proud like the proscenium arch on a stage.

When buying peel offs you may have seen big white sheets of geometric shapes and wondered what they are for. This card was made by punching three square apertures and sticking matching peel off frames with clear centres on the front (I use waxed paper such as the carrier sheet from labels inside the card to protect the back surface). Inside I sprinkled ultrafine holographic glitter on the sticky surface of the centres; on the outside I added small peel off motifs and coloured with appropriate pens. I stuck the edges of the insert sheet all round on the lefthand side so the glitter wouldn't rub off.

It's many years since I used this wreath stamp by PSX and having made the card I remembered why! Nothing wrong with the stamp, it's all that cutting..... I stamped it on white card with Versamark, embossed with silver EP, coloured it with Promarkers and cut it out (memo to Self: new decoupage snips are needed urgently!) The card was covered with green paper embossed with the Cuttlebug folder 'Holly Ribbons', the aperture cut with a Nestabilities Classic Circle die and the wreath stuck down overlapping the edge. The sentiment was stamped on the inside - I traced lightly the inner edge of the wreath to position it properly - and the only minor problem is that the back of the leaves show on the inside of the aperture and, because the Promarkers bleed through, it looks a bit untidy. If I make another I shall cut the wreath out double and then stick the clean copy on the back after colouring and before assembly.
Hi Fiona. Now I have seen your cards I am inspired to make some apertures myself. I love the snow scene through a window. I think I must make a template for that style of window for my CraftRobo cutter. I'm not too good at cutting inside frames by hand!
ReplyDeleteI was interested to see your 'About me' notes. I am learning to make bobbin lace and my teacher is Pam Matolli from the Poole lace circle. (We both live in Spain now). At the end of the month we are both off to a big lace day in Cartagena. You might be interested to take a quick look at my latest piece of lace here
Keep inspiring us. Kate x
Wow, Fiona! That first card is soooooo impressive! I love the snowy window scenes. Perfect.
ReplyDeleteA Fellow Busy Bee,
Rebecha
http://rebechaplayswithpaper.blogspot.com/
hi Fiona what stunning cards you have made, you have got these apertures nailed!! I however have never done one so I need to get thinking about it!! Lots of love Steph
ReplyDeleteWow, that window card is just gorgeous!!! It really looks like you are looking onto a snowy scene, great job! Love the shine on the next two cards and the peel off you used on them. Just beautiful, have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteYes, I love the first card as well - it looks beautiful. Hazel
ReplyDeleteAll your cards and lovely but your first card is my favourite.
ReplyDeleteAnn
All of these are beautiful, Fiona but that window card had me saying "wow". Beautiful technique and a wonderfully unique way to showcase a winter scene. Very pretty! :)
ReplyDeleteThey're all lovely. I especialy love the four-panel card at the top!
ReplyDeleteGorgeous projects again Fiona. I just love your window card and as you say it would be possible to do a version of that without the stamp. It's stunning.
ReplyDeleteFab way of covering the ragged edges. Think I may try using my rectangle nesties to cut window panels - that might work.
Thanks for the inspiration and your wonderful support of Bah! Humbug!
Ann xxx
Your work is beautiful. Where/how can I find out more about the Bah Humbug challenge? I can never have too many Christmas cards.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous examples, Fiona! That first window card is especialy stunning! xxD
ReplyDeleteAll your cards are lovely Fiona, but the window scene is jawdroppinly beautiful and has got to be my favourite.
ReplyDeleteLuv'n'Stuff
Max
xx
Max's Craft Creations
Bah! Humbug! Challenges DT