Nature gives to every season a Beauty all its own. Charles Dickens

Sunday, 17 October 2010

Not a Snowman To Be Seen!



I promised to do something different, and snowmen don't come much more different than this!

The challenge on the JustRite blog this week is 'Colors of Autumn'. Despite being a JRS junkie I never manage to take part in the weekly challenge - most of my crafting is done at the weekend which in theory is perfect since the challenge is posted on Friday, but I need time to think about a possible design and by the time I've thought it's always too late :( But not this week! Being an autumn nut I was determined to take part and have been chewing over ideas. I thought of a rainbow done in red-orange-yellow-brown wth the basket of apples as the crock of gold at the bottom...unfortunately enthusiasm outran ability and it turned out rather differently but I'm still quite pleased with it. IRL it's quite a lot brighter than it appears in the scan, with a band of yellow that 'lifts' the background. I'm going to put it in a frame and hang it in my workroom - I'm slowly gathering various autumnal bits and having plain white walls gives me plenty of scope to play with touches of colour.

The background was sponged with Distress Inks in about ten shades. I used the largest size Trompe Script font by JR for the heading and stamped it in Memento Rich Cocoa ink. The apple basket is from Autumn Blessings - despite being an oval set it fits nicely with only a small trim into the large border from Backyard Birds.I coloured them with Promarkers and used a couple of pale chalks on the background to reduce the glaring white (with hindsight I could have used a slightly deeper shade). I mounted the circle on a layer of brown (both circles cut with Nesties) to define the edge and was going to mount the whole piece on the same brown until I discovered it looked much better on red. Oh, and the outline leaf is by PSX.

Now it's back to Christmas cards.....

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful autumn card. Love your sponging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card, so vibrant. So Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love the background paper you created.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this card, the colors and distressing are beautiful, you did an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fall is so wonderful! The colors, the crisp air...your card says all that and more! Terrific job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! The sponged background looks beautiful. I love all of the gorgeous fall colors in this one. Very pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Fiona, your card looks amazing, just love the colour theme, it fits the challenge perfectly. Your stamping looks terrific.. I can relate to missing out on the challenges but for me it's procrastination lol.

    Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog, always lovely to hear from you.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How pretty! I love that distressed background paired with the basket of apples.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That background is gorgeous! I keep saying I'm going to try it...someday??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great autumn card, I really like how you did the background!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That background paper is awesome! Love all the fall colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the apples at the end of the autumn rainbow idea. Even if it didn't turn out exactly as you originally envisioned, I think it is lovely. That background is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty! I love the back ground papers

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting - please take a moment to leave me a comment. I love being part of the worldwide crafting community.