Nature gives to every season a Beauty all its own. Charles Dickens
Sunday, 25 April 2010
Easel cards
I attended a workshop on making easel cards last Friday while visiting a craft show in Somerset. The tutor was Nancy Watts, who designs the papers for Making Cards magazine; I've met her before and she is a delightful, bubbly lady. We produced a square Art Deco style card and today I adapted my newfound knowledge to make two birthday cards.

The pink one has an A4 sheet cut in half vertically for the base/support, so as the top is a little narrower it will fit a standard C6 envelope.The stamps are all by Judikins and the background is (I have just noticed) a 13th century poem called Beneath a Plum Tree, a translation of which is given on the edge of the wooden block. Now that's what I call service! The geisha lady is cut out and mounted on foam pads. The kanji inside the card read 'Congratulations' and 'Long life'. The plum blossom is mounted on an extra layer of card, making it just thick enough to support the card front when it is lodged behind. All stamping (on both cards) was done using Memento ink 'Rich cocoa'.


The second card is 'almost' square - I think I trimmed the same edge twice instead of adjoining sides, so I added the quote and punched daisies and hoped no one would guess :) The picture is from my favourite Stampin' Up! set, and 'Celebrate', which this time I mounted on foam tape, is from another. The birthday greeting is by Hobby Art, and the border punch by Woodware.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is such a cool card! I've never seen an easel card before - can't wait to try it!
ReplyDeleteVery pretty, I really love the pink one.
ReplyDeleteVery pretty, love the pink one!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful easel cards, Fiona.
ReplyDeleteI've not tried making an easel card yet, but it's on my to do list. Thanks for sharing yours. :)
ReplyDeleteIsn't it fun to learn something new? I think both cards are beautiful.
ReplyDeleteLovely cards - I like making the easel ones.
ReplyDeleteMags x
What a neat card design....I'm going to have to try that out!
ReplyDelete