Nature gives to every season a Beauty all its own. Charles Dickens

Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Spades, hearts and diamonds

These two cards were finished a few days ago but they both needed to be photographed rather than scanned and the weather has been a little chill, to put it mildly - I prefer to do it outside with natural lighting so waited until today when most of the snow has gone. Now I need to put the first card in the post to America and hope it arrives in time.


It isn't really anything to do with hearts, except that my niece's birthday is on Valentine's Day. Liz loves her garden so I had a bit of fun with this - yes, it's a side stepper just like the last card I made. I've said it before: I never claim to be imaginative and when I find something that works I'm likely to stick with it! The lady gardener is by Paper Nation, stamped and coloured with pencils then mounted on dark green using a Mega Deckle Rectangle Nestability die. The background stamp is by Hero Arts, the quotation and small images are by PSX. The little metal tulips I've had for years and cannot remember who made them, but they were just perfect to finish off the front.

I am entering this card in the Sir Stampalot challenge for February which, fortuitously, is entitled 'In the Garden'. Or more accurately, it was the challenge theme which gave me the idea for Liz's card! :)

In my last post I said I would be making a very special card for a very special lady....and here it is. I belong to the Women's Institute and our county federation has organised a competition for a card to be sent, on behalf of all Hampshire members, to congratulate Her Majesty the Queen on her Diamond Jubilee. I must say that left to myself I would not have made such a card as, although I am a monarchist and admire the Queen greatly, I just do not do things like that. However, I try to enter what competitions I can to show support for the organisers. There are over 7,000 WI members in Hampshire and maybe 100 will enter; I don't expect my card to be chosen (not everyone likes plain and simple but I'm no good at beautiful and elaborate) and if it isn't then I can change the insert and save the card for someone's diamond wedding instead!
The base card is bright white Bazzill card. The embossing folder is by Cuttlebug as are the die cut numbers; I matted the Nestie diamond and the top layer on the same silver mirri card as the numbers using the Perfect Layers Tool then raised the diamond on foam pads; there are tiny clear gems where the embossed lines intersect.

The wording inside was indicated by the Federation: I have printed it in the standard WI dark green on parchment and it is more legible than it appears here (also the tape doesn't show up as much IRL).

15 comments:

  1. Love the garden card!
    And Good Luck with your Diamond Jubilee card!
    It's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a really pretty card Fiona, perfect for our theme. A lovely card for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee as well.

    Thank you so much for joining us In the Garden at Stampalot this month, good luck and hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute! Love the garden step card for you neice she will love this one and I am sure display it proud. The second card is so stunning, love the background behind that 60. Lovely as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cards I am sure both will be so well received.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cards! I LOVE the side-step card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cards. I need to try to make a step card, they look so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wowww..double feast for the eyes!
    Awesome cards....such different theme but equally wonderful!!♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two fabulous cards in one post! I love the garden theme step card and the tulips are perfect for the front! Your jubilee card may be simple, but it is far from plain! This is so clean, elegant, and absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful garden themed card! And I love the Diamond one too. Thanks for joining the Sir Stampalot Challenge, Ruth :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely cards, thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super card for our garden theme. Thank you for sharing it with us at Stampalot Challenge this month, and good luck. Your diamond card is lovely too, very elegant.

    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your Diamond Jubilee card is absolutely beautiful! Simple but very elegant. Let us know how the competition goes!

    BTW, I tagged you for 11 Things on my blog. http://moviemuse.blogspot.com/2012/02/11-things.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm completely enjoying browsing through your exquisite cards - what an inspiration for the aspiring card maker I'd like to be. Thanks for sharing!!!

    JudySC

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful cards! I love the fun stair step card - great design. Your diamond card is so elegant!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting - please take a moment to leave me a comment. I love being part of the worldwide crafting community.