I'm very excited to be making my Challenge cards this week as a member of the Design Team (thank you, Ann and Max). I tried to think of something a bit different without being too way out and hope that, if necessary, you will find my work gives you ideas for your own cards.

Having been a stamper for about 20 years my first thought when I read 'Embossing' involved powders and a heat gun! I made two complimentary panels using a very old, traditional wood mounted stamp by PSX, and a fairly new, clear unmounted one by Dimension Fourth, each stamped with Versamark and embossed with silver EP. They were too big for my original card idea so I made a Z fold card which embraces both and an insert, yet still fits into a standard C6 envelope. The sentiment is by Funstamps and was stamped in Brilliance ink; snowflake border punch by Fiskars.
Next is a 'crossover technique' card (aka, what do you mean by embossing?); the ornament is another PSX stamp embossed with Red Razzle Dazzle EP, cut out and mounted on a panel made with a Cuttlebug embossing folder from the 'Holiday' set.
Third card design goes way, way back. I once bought some ready made blanks printed with a grid of different size boxes into which you could stamp various images: very useful for incorporating those little stamps which often seem too small to have any use. I used to copy the idea and painstakingly draw out my own grids with ruler, pen and a few curses, but now the job is made so much easier with a score board! It's best to choose the images and plan your grid to fit them on paper first. Oh, and I had to cheat: thin embossed lines do not show up when scanned, so for illustration purposes only I went over them with ruler and pencil!
The red and gold card looks impressive (I hope) but was the quickest of the four to make, using a Dreamweaver stencil and gold embossing paste. It really couldn't be easier: tape stencil over card, apply paste, remove stencil and leave card to dry! For the background I used self adhesive red velvet paper on top of thin card, and stuck the finished panel to an A6 card - I did try layering it onto a 7" x 5" but decided the simple approach was the best. If you would like to try this technique I can recommend a DVD by Carol Cockbain of The Craft Barn, or watch a demonstration by (another) Carol from The Craft Station if you catch her at a show (please note, I have no affiliation with either shop).Now, what am I going to do for next week's Challenge???
Hi Fiona, when your e-mail arrived containing all these gorgeous cards it was just like opening a stocking filled with Christmas goodies! You have definitely spoiled us this week with so many lovely examples of embossing techniques. My personal favourites have got to be the z-fold where you've used embossing powder with those elegant stamps and the red/gold card demonstrating the use of embossing paste and stencil which looks so classy. We hope you will enjoy your time as a Guest Designer at Bah! Humbug! as much as we will delight in having you on the team.
ReplyDeleteLuv'n'Stuff
Max
xx
Max's Craft Creations
Bah! Humbug! Challenges DT
Hi Fiona, loving your gorgeous cards here, the embossing really jazzes up the stamped image and that red and gold card is sooo elegant.
ReplyDeleteCONGRATS on the DT spot, so well deserved.
Hope you have a terrific and very crafty weekend.
Hi Fiona, wow what gorgeous cards!! You have been very busy and may just have inspired me to get my heat gun out!!! Well done on joining the team, enjoy your time with the ladies, lots of love Steph
ReplyDeleteHi Fiona, these are beautiful, I can see you are enjoying the challenges it shows in your creativity! Very pretty!
ReplyDeleteHave a great day!
Love the cards. You chose such great color combos.
ReplyDeleteWow Fiona, you have been busy! It's been great to read the stories behind each card, so thank you for those. I love the Z fold idea, the green and red one is my favourite I think, but they are all fabulous. Look forward to seeing you next week! Judith xx
ReplyDeleteThese are beautiful Fiona, I love that embossing technique you used.
ReplyDeleteFiona, these are all gorgeous! I just love that you have such a head start on all of your holiday cards, too. The red card is my favorite, though! So elegant!! Wow!! :)
ReplyDeleteWow Fiona!!!! Is there a description that is better than gorgeous, elegant, jaw dropping, well.....these are just plain stunning in every way. You are sure on a roll, love them all.
ReplyDeleteWell you've been busy my friend! I like all your gorgeous creations & embossing is one of my FAVE techniques!! Very nice work Fiona & tfs!!!!!
ReplyDeleteFiona, sometimes the fastest cards (like your red one) are the most impressive and beautiful. I continue to be inspired by your elegant style.
ReplyDeleteA Fellow Busy Bee Blogger,
Rebecha
Wow 4 cards, you have been busy. Love them all but my favourite is the red and gold one. Look forward to seeing your future DT cards. Take Care Debs xx
ReplyDeleteFiona you have certainley taken to this DT really well and have got off to a flying start - Wow four cards! I like the fact they are all so different while sticking to the theme.
ReplyDeleteReally looking forward to next weeks cards.
Jenny x
wow, these are beautiful..love it! Ronnie
ReplyDelete