Nature gives to every season a Beauty all its own. Charles Dickens

Sunday, 24 April 2011

Sweet peas

Here is the first card I have made completely from scratch since sorting out my disaster area craft room. It was such a joy to be able to select a box of green scraps, and a box of white scraps, and my Nesties, and a drawer full of Promarkers...each neatly labelled and each returned to its designated home when I had finished the card, instead of scrabbling through half a dozen drawers that looked like the aftermath of a tornado in a paper factory! How long this idyllic state of affairs will last is another matter.

Several years ago I made a few paper flowers from punches using books by Leonie Em of Australia. Recently a new book on the subject from America appeared in the UK courtesy of Joanna Sheen, and when I saw the sweet peas I just had to buy the appropriate punch and have a go at making them (they take me back to my childhood and a beloved uncle who grew them wherever he went, from Egypt to the Cotswolds). I was pleased with the results for a first attempt though I'm sure I could improve with practice, and the greenfly that landed as soon as I had finished seemed to give them the seal of approval :)

Image and sentiment by JustRite Stampers, coloured with Promarkers and the background chalked in pale pink to tone down the bright white card. Green background is a Spellbinder's Lacey Square . The book Paper Bouquet is by Susan Tierney Cockburn, published by Lark Books in 2008. And although you can't really see it, the dark grey background is a special photographic sheet bought with birthday money from my husband along with a pale dove grey one - I try hard to get a decent close up photo of any card I can't scan and hope that these will make life easier.

And tomorrow I intend to make a Christmas card or three to catch up on some of the April challenges from the Bah! Humbug! site.

ETA: I have just discovered this card qualifies for entry in the current JustRite Stampers challenge which is using handmade paper flowers with a JRS image.....how serendipitous is that!

12 comments:

  1. beautiful card, you nailed those flowers. I hope you post some pics of your clean space ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's lovely Fiona, well done making the sweet peas, they look great. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so pretty, I just adore those sweet peas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card! I love the colors and what a great feeling to have it all organized. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty and your sweet peas are PERFECT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card, Fiona. Your sweet peas are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your little sweet peas! You don't see a flower like this very often--just gorgeous! They go so well with the rest of the card--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. those sweetpeas are soo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love sweet peas! I would love to see a close-up of yours!!! NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So gorgeous, Fiona! I love the pretty dimension of the Sweet Peas. Your image is colored beautifully, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting - please take a moment to leave me a comment. I love being part of the worldwide crafting community.