It's a full year since I made a parchment craft card, despite saying at the time that I intended to concentrate on that technique and practise a lot. Well, I have applied to go on a week's course in October with two of the country's top teachers and really must practise beforehand, so here's my first effort for 2011 which is a card for a dear friend who will be celebrating a special birthday at the weekend. The design is by Pauline Loweth and I really enjoyed it but I had forgotten just how long the cutwork takes: I needed several breaks so I didn't get careless and spoil the whole thing - you can't just undo it like knitting! I'm very pleased with the final results although I can see bits that a teacher would help me to improve, and the design was carefully chosen to avoid the things I'm not confident with, like shading (I think I managed the petals fairly well for a first attempt) and colouring. I did try a coloured flower on a spare piece but much prefer the plain whitework so didn't do it on the actual card.
Nature gives to every season a Beauty all its own. Charles Dickens
Tuesday, 8 February 2011
Parchment craft
It's a full year since I made a parchment craft card, despite saying at the time that I intended to concentrate on that technique and practise a lot. Well, I have applied to go on a week's course in October with two of the country's top teachers and really must practise beforehand, so here's my first effort for 2011 which is a card for a dear friend who will be celebrating a special birthday at the weekend. The design is by Pauline Loweth and I really enjoyed it but I had forgotten just how long the cutwork takes: I needed several breaks so I didn't get careless and spoil the whole thing - you can't just undo it like knitting! I'm very pleased with the final results although I can see bits that a teacher would help me to improve, and the design was carefully chosen to avoid the things I'm not confident with, like shading (I think I managed the petals fairly well for a first attempt) and colouring. I did try a coloured flower on a spare piece but much prefer the plain whitework so didn't do it on the actual card.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is gorgeous Fiona, I am like you in not having done any parchment work for a long time.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pattern and I love your butterfly.
Enjoy your course, look forward to seeing more parchment from you.
Christine xx
What a lovely creation! I enjoy looking at all your work, you do such great things. I have special award for you over at my blog, so stop by if you get a chance!
ReplyDeleteThat's lovely Fiona.
ReplyDeleteFiona, you really take cardmaking to an amazing level! I am not familiar with this technique but it looks like it requres a lot of intricate detailing. Wow! This is just gorgeous in every way! :)
ReplyDeleteThis is an impressive piece of art. Fiona, you have done a gorgeous job on the technique.
ReplyDeleteOh Fiona, just splendid this is! I agree, what a fabulous technique and a joy to see! TFS!
ReplyDeleteThis is so delicate and pretty! Great job!
ReplyDeleteSo lovely and delicate!
ReplyDelete